This article from the Daily Record gives a brief history of the theatre.
Click on any of the pictures below to see a bigger
Here is a sample of an old movie program from back in the
days when the Darress was known as the State Theatre.
This sample was found and brought to us by one of our valued customers
Very early poster, before the name was changed to the
Old poster from the days when the building was known as
the State Theatre.
Charles Darress, builder of the Darress Theatre, (on right) and
unidentified friends standing in front of the theatre building sometime in the Spring of 1920.
This picture was done by a local artist in the late forties or
early fifties and shows the building with a black glass facade and the elaborate "State Theatre" marquee, both of which
no longer exist. It was made into a postcard format. More information about this image will be provided as we
The appearance of the theatre is again in a transition stage after the loss of the marquee
(due to serious damage suffered when it was struck on two separate occasions by a couple of tall delivery trucks trying to
park along Main Street), the replacement of the front doors, and the uncovering of a window which had been concealed
for years. Images of the changes will be posted in the near future.